CAIMS Winter Tournament: Football


In week 5, the boys A and B teams and the girls A teams participated in the South Island CAIMS tournament at Hagley park. There were a total of 16 teams in the boys competition and 7 in the girls teams. On day one they played in the pool play and had the following results.
A Team: P3 W3 D0 L0 – 1st Pool D
B team:P3 W1 D0 L2 – 3rd pool C
Girls Team: P2 W1 D1 L0 – 1st Pool A

Finals Day
Boys A
The team topped their group which set them up with a quarterfinal against Heaton. The team played well and ended up winning 5-0 which progressed them onto the next stage.
In the semi-final they came up against Breens. The team showed composure and again ended up winning 8-2. In the final they played a Cobham team which they had beaten comfortably in the Tuesday competition. This game didn’t go to plan and at fulltime the score was locked at 0-0, so it went to penalties. The players held their nerve and CSKI ended up winning the shootout 2-0 (best of 3). Congratulations to all the boys that were a part of the team.

Boys B
After a 10-0 win in their first game of Monday pool play, the Boys B team suffered two narrow losses to Breens (2-0) and finalist Cobham (2-1) and were relegated to the 2nd division of the Tuesday competition. The team dominated their first Tuesday game against Ashburton winning 12-0. They then defeated a strong Casebrook team 2-0 and finished the day with a hard-fought 2-1 win over St Thomas to take 9th place overall. Ka pai te mahi!

Girls A
The team made the top 4 on Monday so they ended up playing in the round robin against the other teams with the top two progressing through to the final. They won their first game against Casebrook 2-0 but came up against a strong Heaton team in their second game which they lost 2-0. That meant they needed to draw or win against Rangi Ruru to make the final. After falling behind 1-0 they pushed forward and scored a late equalizer which put them in the final.
Here they got to play Heaton again. Heaton scored in the first half and it looked like that was going to be a final score until South scored with only a minute left until full time. That meant the final went to penalties with South winning 2-0 (best of 3). Congratulations to all the girls that were a part of the team.

More News Articles