Welcome to Christchurch South Karamata Intermediate School
Christchurch is the largest city in the beautiful South Island. It is bordered by hills and the Pacific Ocean with flat plains that lead to the Southern Alps. It is an exciting and inspiring place to be with many new opportunities for everyone. Alongside world class educational facilities it offers an exceptional lifestyle. Christchurch is a safe and comfortable place to live. We have a vibrant city with beautiful parks and beaches to visit. There are many interesting and fun activities to do in Christchurch and the surrounding area. The people here are friendly, welcoming and are proud to share our lovely city with visitors.
Christchurch South Karamata Intermediate School welcomes international students to our school community. International students have been part of our school for many years. We welcome the opportunity to have students from different cultures and believe we provide an excellent learning environment for students from other countries.
Our shared values are important qualities we try to live by as we go about our study and work each day. These are:
- Being thoughtful, cooperative and tolerant.
- Being well mannered, considerate and friendly to each other, staff and visitors.
- Being well dressed and well behaved at all times.
At our school we hope you will develop a passion for learning, build independence and learn to embrace diversity and challenge . We consider international students’ happiness to be the most important factor as this accelerates their English learning and ability to settle into a new environment hugely. We cooperate closely with both natural and homestay parents in order to help international students feel happy with their life at school and at home.
Making choices about where to send a child for English learning as well as Kiwi culture can be difficult. We know we have what it takes to make this a time of success and enjoyment for your child.
Why choose Christchurch South Karamata Intermediate School?
- Excellent reputation.
- Strong academic, sports, arts and cultural programmes.
- High standards.
- Strong values.
- Equal opportunities for all students.
- Well supported programmes for English language learning.
- Well qualified and skilful teaching staff who focus on students aged 11-13 years old.
- Specialist teachers in the areas of Arts (performance and visual), Technology (woodcraft, metalwork, electronics, food, fabric), Science, ICT and Physical Education.
- Caring and safe school and community environment.
- Students are well prepared for secondary school.
- Excellent resources including large grass playing fields.
- Excellent access to computers and multimedia software.
- Maximum of two International Students per class.
- Students come from diverse multicultural backgrounds.
- School is fun!
Christchurch South Karamata Intermediate School is a signatory to the 2016 Code of Practice. When students come to study in New Zealand, education providers have an important responsibility to ensure that those students are well informed, safe and properly cared for. To support this, the New Zealand government has developed the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016, which replaced the 2010 Code of Practice.